Friday, March 13, 2020

How to wear a fine knit | Jess Cartner-Morley

A lightweight sweater can be tucked into a waistband – ideal with the high-waisted jeans you’ll be wearing soon, if you aren’t already

Chunky knitwear is so chic, but only on other people. I am writing this from Paris fashion week, which is full of women wearing blanket-weight Aran knits, great cumulus clouds of fluffy mohair cardigans, double layers of tightly ribbed polo necks. They are wearing these jumpers half-tucked into high-waisted tailored trousers, or loose over thick stretch leggings, or belted over pleated skirts; with block heeled boots, or loafers, or with socks and sandals. They look excellent.

But it’s no good to me. I feel the heat, the way other people feel the cold – not in a good way. I get hot and itchy just looking at a jumper like that, let alone pulling it over my head. And I know from bitter experience that the nonchalant textured cool of a chunky knit under an open trenchcoat is completely spoilt when your face is shiny and your hair has gone damp at the temples and you are yanking the funnel neck away from your chin and fanning yourself because you can’t breathe. I know I am not alone – we, the great overheated – but it is somehow a little less socially acceptable than being a shivering, delicate flower endlessly in need of someone’s jacket around her shoulders.

Continue reading...

from Fashion | The Guardian https://ift.tt/33fNmTK
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment