Saturday, March 7, 2020

How to cut back on your travel toiletries – sustainably | Sali Hughes

I’ve boycotted non-refillable skincare minis, so travelling light – and responsibly – involves decanting and downsizing

I’m a dreadfully heavy packer – mainly, in my defence, because I’m always working and invariably have to drag along heaps of product testers so I don’t fall behind schedule. But for my latest week’s trip, I was determined to downsize my skincare haul to a literal handful without compromising my routine.

I boycotted non-refillable minis a while back. There was something about those huge, colourful, once irresistible Sephora and Superdrug displays of tiny travel plastic that suddenly seemed indefensible to the point of grotesque. So now, travelling light involves decanting and downsizing – and, if anything, it’s more thrilling. Having donated all my minis to my own charity, Beauty Banks, which distributes toiletries to people living in poverty, I selected washable and reusable plastic containers from Muji, from 95p. They have every possible shape, purpose and size, and all are fantastic except for the pill box (the doors don’t open individually, meaning you have to spill everything out at once) and the clear plastic (too stiff to squeeze, plus they go cloudy). If you don’t have a branch nearby, Primark has a smaller-but-still-good-selection from £1.

Continue reading...

from Fashion | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2PViUsH
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment