Wednesday, April 25, 2018

A woman's guide to loving fashion – without submitting to the patriarchy

It’s heartening that younger readers should care about patriarchal brainwashing, says our fashion fixer, but we should trust our individual agency

I dress in ways that I choose to because I am influenced by a society and fashion industry that tells me what is attractive and in many ways (I still believe) is aimed at the male gaze. Therefore, can this be counted as my own, semi-empowered choice, or am I kidding myself and submitting to the patriarchy? Lia, age 15

What a terrific question, Lia! I often think that all those tedious oldsters who wang on about how young people today are narcissistic snowflakes who only care about how many likes they get on Instagram really should spend some time with actual young people instead. Because, if they did, they would see that young people areso much more engaged and curious about the world than any teenagers I knew in the 1990s, primarily including myself there. I mean, I kept myself busy as a teenager: wondering whether I fancied Graham or Damon more (Graham, always); clearing my Friday nights for a big night in watching Whose Line is it Anyway? and Eurotrash; or getting various parts of my body pierced at Kensington Market. But worrying about patriarchal groupthink I was not.

Continue reading...

from Fashion | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2HKSuXT
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment